TITAL: Together If They All Lived
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Game Talk (I'm putting this extra little bit here because the original title was too short)

+12
Admin (HalcyonWandering)
Eques tenebrarum
lethalityComplex
XGeass
Maverick Entity
Zeldaman2.0
Aesoth
khfreak358
NebulaGregarZX
Haar_Dragon
Malakili007
AKeybladeYouSay
16 posters

Page 32 of 40 Previous  1 ... 17 ... 31, 32, 33 ... 36 ... 40  Next

Go down

Game Talk (I'm putting this extra little bit here because the original title was too short) - Page 32 Empty Re: Game Talk (I'm putting this extra little bit here because the original title was too short)

Post  Haar_Dragon Mon Mar 24, 2014 4:31 am

Maybe. I can tell you he used a few Armageddons on my Galaxy Mage and Healer, but...well, Mega Heal dealt with them. I felt really over-prepared, but then again, it was also extremely satisfying.

He did hand me my ass the first time, but that was mostly because I just kinda rushed in like a moron and got Laharl surrounded by enemy Angels. I take it you're playing the PS2 version, then? What level is he? Because in the PSP version, the minions are level 75 and he's level 90.

Also, a recommendation I see a lot of: Have you tried stealing his equipment to debuff him?
Haar_Dragon
Haar_Dragon
Terra, the Vir who Convelli Telluris

Back to top Go down

Game Talk (I'm putting this extra little bit here because the original title was too short) - Page 32 Empty Re: Game Talk (I'm putting this extra little bit here because the original title was too short)

Post  NebulaGregarZX Mon Mar 24, 2014 4:50 am

Same levels as in my version... was his HP about 30000 in the PSP version?

No, I never used the stealing mechanic. It seems like a real nuisance to get working, and I don't want to level up a Thief/Rogue character.

...I'm starting to really think I just got unlucky. I mean, in your case, he never focused on one character, right?
NebulaGregarZX
NebulaGregarZX
Aleri, the Vindex de Crepusculum

Back to top Go down

Post  Haar_Dragon Mon Mar 24, 2014 5:03 am

No, he didn't really focus anyone down. He abused his AoE attack, but it did less than half the health of a Mage and a Cleric, so I could just heal it off the next turn.

In mine, his max HP is 20,646 (Yes, I did feel the need to go back and re-check.) So it seems he was nerfed.

And yeah, I never used a Thief either. If they weren't completely useless at combat, it might've been a different story, but when I tried to use one, they could barely kill enemies half their level, so I just kinda said screw it. I was just wondering, because apparently that's practically required for the super-mega-secret-uber boss.
Haar_Dragon
Haar_Dragon

Back to top Go down

Post  NebulaGregarZX Mon Mar 24, 2014 6:27 pm

Huh... well, I'm not going to put in enough time to take that guy down anyway. Who needs level 9999 anyway? And Majins? And the Yoshitsuna?

If I DID want to take him on, I'd be getting a Thief ready and learning how to properly use the stealing mechanic. As it stands, though, not a chance.

...Actually, something I've heard about the PSP version is that a certain pair of glasses are bugged. They have some absurd stat bonus, but kill your Jump. Wearing a second pair fixes your Jump, though.
NebulaGregarZX
NebulaGregarZX

Back to top Go down

Post  Cremator of the Sky Mon Mar 24, 2014 9:19 pm

All this Disgaea talk just reminds me I still need to beat 4 because I've barely given it any attention. Shame too, because Valvatorez definitely ranks up high in my list of favorite protags for the franchise from what little I've played, although he'll never top Mao to me.

And tomorrow Chrono Phantasm will finally be out (well here in the West anyway).
Cremator of the Sky
Cremator of the Sky
Omicron
Omicron

Location : The Ancient World that I have cremated and seeded with Metal.

Back to top Go down

Post  NebulaGregarZX Mon Mar 24, 2014 10:18 pm

Yeah. Personally, I prefer Laharl, Valvatorez being a very close second in Disgaea. Mao is in last place for me, but only because I like all the protagonists so much, and he loses by a very small margin. And only because of the Disgaea 2 manga giving Adell a kickass fight against Etna, despite it being hopeless in the game. ...Though I also don't care for it when they mix teen geniuses with mad scientists. So it's a matter of taste, really.

...Say, what chapter are you up to, number-wise?

About time! I was wondering when they'd bring it over here. I mean, I can't play it, even if I got a copy, even if I had a system, I've never played them before, but, uh... huzzah!
NebulaGregarZX
NebulaGregarZX

Back to top Go down

Post  Cremator of the Sky Mon Mar 24, 2014 11:17 pm

I think I just started the second chapter, I can't really remember it's been so long since I last played 4.

It's okay, Blazblue isn't too well known, at least last time I checked.
Cremator of the Sky
Cremator of the Sky
Omicron
Omicron

Back to top Go down

Post  Haar_Dragon Mon Mar 24, 2014 11:33 pm

I'm pretty sure the bugged item is a Staff, but I haven't come across one regardless of what kind of item it is.

Having made it most of the way through Chapter 4 of Disgaea 2, I was liking Adell better, but then they pulled the "Their mission was more important to them than me" card and now I'm a little conflicted. I hate it when characters say that. It makes them come off as selfish, short-sighted morons. That said, I do still like Adell over Laharl, but by a very small margin. But there's still a huge bunch of game left, so we'll see if that changes.

I haven't played much of BlazBlue. I have a copy of Continuum Shift Extend on my PS3, and played a bit of the Calamity Trigger story, but then I obtained other games. I think it was Tales of Graces f, but it might have been something else.
Haar_Dragon
Haar_Dragon

Back to top Go down

Post  NebulaGregarZX Tue Mar 25, 2014 12:46 am

...It's a particular pair of glasses that you can buy at the shop. It's the highest-ranked pair you can buy, I believe. It's called something along the lines of "Foresight".

Huh? What do you mean by that? I've watched all the cutscenes, but could you clarify? Use spoiler tags if you must.

Oh, I KNOW about Blazblue, it's just that I:

A: Suck at fighting games.
B: Don't have a system that can play any of them, except the 3DS port of CS, or the PSP port of... whichever one it was.
C: SUUUUUUUCK at fighting games.
NebulaGregarZX
NebulaGregarZX

Back to top Go down

Post  Haar_Dragon Tue Mar 25, 2014 1:05 am

Huh. It is definitely Foresight, but I thought it was a staff...I wouldn't know, I never had one. That's what I get for making assumptions, I guess.

It's in Chapter 4, and I THINK it's specifically the third map.

Spoiler:

Again, I think the map with that quote is the third, but I could be wrong. I hope I'm not, because I played that map like two days ago. The other thing it could be is the beginning and then the end of the second map, because I might be on the third map now and I'm just confusing myself. Either way, I definitely remember it happening.
Haar_Dragon
Haar_Dragon

Back to top Go down

Post  NebulaGregarZX Tue Mar 25, 2014 1:13 am

Ah, that sounds familiar. Well, trust me, it gets a little better-justified. His attitude doesn't change, I don't think, but it's not as simple as that. I'd give you the details, but that might count as a spoiler. Even though it's all info about Adell's past, and I forget if and when it's actually clarified directly.
NebulaGregarZX
NebulaGregarZX

Back to top Go down

Post  Zeldaman2.0 Tue Mar 25, 2014 1:26 am

Haar_Dragon wrote:Huh. It is definitely Foresight, but I thought it was a staff...I wouldn't know, I never had one. That's what I get for making assumptions, I guess.

It's in Chapter 4, and I THINK it's specifically the third map.

Spoiler:

Again, I think the map with that quote is the third, but I could be wrong. I hope I'm not, because I played that map like two days ago. The other thing it could be is the beginning and then the end of the second map, because I might be on the third map now and I'm just confusing myself. Either way, I definitely remember it happening.

That quote was on map 3-3 if I remember correctly. Er... 4-3 maybe.

As Gregar said, it really isn't that simple. I will say I really like Adell though, despite this.

I wish I could comment more on this but I know y'all don't like advice or spoilers unless you specifically ask for them.

And while it may not be that big of a deal, throwing Swords on a Thief may be poor considering aptitudes, but if you get them ranked high enough it doesn't matter. Their Lover boosts are hilariously good for stealing, and on top of which once you get them to Winged Slayer they get levels the same as everyone else.

Although... Am I the only one who experienced something like two characters having similar stats, but one deals a shit ton less damage? Because using the D2 9-2 stage made that apparent to me. That, and the CoO stages.

I will say that getting a thief to about 2/3 or so of the final boss's level allowed me to steal some of it's gear, which was not only helpful but sapped the TAR out of his stats. Though I will say take the HP-giving ones first XD
Zeldaman2.0
Zeldaman2.0
Beta
Beta

Back to top Go down

Post  Haar_Dragon Tue Mar 25, 2014 2:01 am

Alright, it's good to know he's not just whining.

That said, the highest Weapon Mastery of Thieves in Disgaea 1 was D, in swords and guns. The ones in 2 go up as high as C and have better stats, so I'm considering using one, but bad experience tells me not to. I'm noticing 2 seems a lot more balanced, like how Magic Knights aren't horribly outclassed by both Fighters and Mages any more. I am liking it, but I still wish Thieves were better, because Stealing isn't really as broken as the designers seem to think. If they had bad Mastery OR bad stats, or if Stealing gave experience, it'd be one thing, but in the first game it was both, with no rewards for stealing short of directly stealing EXP.

I had a bit of a different experience with the damage thing. Namely, my Samurai was dealing damage just short of on par with Laharl, despite having about half of his Attack (at the time).
Haar_Dragon
Haar_Dragon

Back to top Go down

Post  NebulaGregarZX Tue Mar 25, 2014 2:04 am

Samurai have high Attack Aptitudes, so that might be why.
NebulaGregarZX
NebulaGregarZX

Back to top Go down

Post  khfreak358 Tue Mar 25, 2014 2:13 am

Oh, I dunno, BlazBlue isn't too obscure. It's probably more well known than Guilty Gear, Arc Systems' other big fighting franchise. Though, I also have not played any of the games, it's on my list of fighters that I need to play, along with KoF. The closest I've come is the XBLA demo of Guilty Gear XX Accent Corps Plus, and I've really enjoyed that.
khfreak358
khfreak358
Siks the Umbra de Aurora
Siks the Umbra de Aurora

Back to top Go down

Post  Cremator of the Sky Tue Mar 25, 2014 2:27 am

NebulaGregarZX wrote:
Oh, I KNOW about Blazblue, it's just that I:

A: Suck at fighting games.
B: Don't have a system that can play any of them, except the 3DS port of CS, or the PSP port of... whichever one it was.
C: SUUUUUUUCK at fighting games.

Oh okay, from the way you worded it made it sound like you didn't know. Sorry about that. Anyway, the key to getting better with fighters is to keep playing them, although it's much better to play them on a console. Also, CS had a PSP port.

Also khfreak, GG is amazing. I really prefer it to BB on a lot of levels myself, mostly because I love the roster way more than BB's. Had the Greatest Dad Ever not been made a character in BB, I honestly wouldn't have anyone in BB I'd like more than anyone in GG.
Cremator of the Sky
Cremator of the Sky
Omicron
Omicron

Back to top Go down

Post  Haar_Dragon Tue Mar 25, 2014 2:37 am

I know about the Attack aptitude, but it was 110%. That's not anything like double. I dunno, maybe the formula is weird, I dunno. If I knew all the formulae, I'd be a lot better at SRPGs than I am.
Haar_Dragon
Haar_Dragon

Back to top Go down

Post  NebulaGregarZX Tue Mar 25, 2014 3:05 am

110% Aptitude is actually kind of a big deal. It basically gives you a 10% boost to any equipment-gained stat boost. Let's say you've got a Samurai with a base Attack of 30, with a sword that has 700 Attack. She'd end up with 800 Attack power as a result, not 730. Put a bunch of stuff on her to boost Attack, and it'll really show.

On the other hand, there's the more pathetic aptitudes, like 30%. In those cases, it's not worth giving them the equipment to boost those stats because of how much it'll nerf the bonus. Focus on any given character's strengths, not their weaknesses.

...And about my Knight, yeah, she sucks. I would abandon her completely, but I need her to reach Level 100 to unlock the Angel Class, along with my female Cleric and Archer. Still, My Cleric is up to level 75, and the other two are at 60, so I'm getting there. I think I'll Transmigrate my Knight into an Angel, since I won't need her ever again after that, and it'll be nice to have a pre-boosted Angel.
NebulaGregarZX
NebulaGregarZX

Back to top Go down

Post  Haar_Dragon Tue Mar 25, 2014 3:36 am

Yeah, but I mean Laharl had like 2000 Attack, and my Samurai with 930-something was only doing a couple hundred damage less.

Like I said. I never really thought it was worth giving a character a weapon that they had less than an A in, so having a Knight or a Thief is kinda worthless.

I'm kinda sad Monster weapons don't have a Mastery level, too, and that it's all the monster's level, because it makes transmigrating monsters kind of a pain, since they can't keep any of their old skills. That's kinda why I only use like two monsters (Nekomata for great Attack and Prinny because why the hell not.)
Haar_Dragon
Haar_Dragon

Back to top Go down

Post  NebulaGregarZX Tue Mar 25, 2014 3:50 am

Well, I don't know how the damage formula works. Hell, all I know about it is that they changed it in 3, then changed it back in D2. And while it was changed, attack quickly became the only stat that mattered.

I don't use ANY monsters. The only exceptions I'd think to make would be Thursday and Kurtis, but they only join so late in the game that it feels pointless to waste time on them. Especially Kurtis, who otherwise would be a shoo-in. I kinda want him to be super-powerful just so that his scene will be appropriate in a second run...
NebulaGregarZX
NebulaGregarZX

Back to top Go down

Post  Haar_Dragon Tue Mar 25, 2014 3:58 am

I used Kurtis just because Kurtis is awesome. And his theme is probably my favorite song in the game. Even though Kurtis himself, if I'm being honest, isn't really all that great. But I used him anyway because he's awesome, even though he's really not that awesome at all. But I like Kurtis.

I think Thursday has the potential to be the highest damage-dealer on your team, but I might be thinking of something else.

Now, when you say "changed", does that include the remakes of 3 and 4?
Haar_Dragon
Haar_Dragon

Back to top Go down

Post  NebulaGregarZX Tue Mar 25, 2014 4:04 am

"Dear Comrade". That's the name of the theme, though I'm not sure it's limited to Kurtis. He just gets it the most because, well, he's Kurtis.

And yeah, the formula changes would have been kept in any remakes. Afternoon of Darkness didn't have its formulas and mechanics changed to be like Disgaea 2, did it? It just gained a few features from that game and an extra playable mode. And a bugged pair of glasses, and Michelle Ruff replacing Etna's old VA. And lost the English version of "Red Moon", leaving only the Japanese version...

...Yeah, it's mostly surface changes. Majins are still the most overpowered thing in the PSP version, regardless of their horrifying nerfs from all later games.
NebulaGregarZX
NebulaGregarZX

Back to top Go down

Post  Haar_Dragon Tue Mar 25, 2014 4:20 am

I know it's in the in-game shop as "My Comrade," and I believe it's technically Kurtis' theme. Or at least, every time I looked it up, it seemed to be referred to as Kurtis' theme. I do specifically remember that it plays when Vyers/Dark Adonis/Mid-boss is encouraging Laharl in 5-4, because that's the first time it plays.

Personally, I think the Japanese version of Red Moon is better anyway (saw the English version on YouTube), because it just sounds creepy. Especially when you consider than in the game's context, it is literally being sung by demon children.

I remember seeing that Level 50 Majin in one of the promotion exams, and I was like, "Yeah, okay, nope, not doing that one for a LONG time." And like everything else, the Mages completely storm him because of the range of magic.
Haar_Dragon
Haar_Dragon

Back to top Go down

Post  NebulaGregarZX Tue Mar 25, 2014 5:03 am

Makes sense, I guess.

The English version is pretty meh. It just seems kinda weird that it was removed.

That Majin? I didn't have much trouble with him. I had already Transmigrated Laharl at least once before reaching that level in the Assembly, so he was powerful enough to take him down without having to retake the exam.
NebulaGregarZX
NebulaGregarZX

Back to top Go down

Post  Haar_Dragon Tue Mar 25, 2014 5:28 am

See, I don't use Transmigration that much. I'm really not a fan of level-grinding, and I don't have the patience when I'm already tearing things up with two or three units.

And yeah, I took the exam later and destroyed him. He took off half my health with Wind Cutter, but I still destroyed him. Man, I don't care what anyone says about Winged Slayer, the single-target moves are the best thing I've ever had. Though I still think the Spear is kind of a lame weapon...
Haar_Dragon
Haar_Dragon

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 32 of 40 Previous  1 ... 17 ... 31, 32, 33 ... 36 ... 40  Next