TITAL: Together If They All Lived
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Game Talk (I'm putting this extra little bit here because the original title was too short)

+12
Admin (HalcyonWandering)
Eques tenebrarum
lethalityComplex
XGeass
Maverick Entity
Zeldaman2.0
Aesoth
khfreak358
NebulaGregarZX
Haar_Dragon
Malakili007
AKeybladeYouSay
16 posters

Page 36 of 40 Previous  1 ... 19 ... 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40  Next

Go down

Game Talk (I'm putting this extra little bit here because the original title was too short) - Page 36 Empty Re: Game Talk (I'm putting this extra little bit here because the original title was too short)

Post  Haar_Dragon Fri Apr 04, 2014 6:19 pm

I never liked Axel. He did nothing but tick me off. In Adell's words, "How does beating you up to the point where the whole universe thinks you're dead make me your rival?"
Haar_Dragon
Haar_Dragon
Terra, the Vir who Convelli Telluris

Back to top Go down

Game Talk (I'm putting this extra little bit here because the original title was too short) - Page 36 Empty Re: Game Talk (I'm putting this extra little bit here because the original title was too short)

Post  Zeldaman2.0 Fri Apr 04, 2014 6:21 pm

I have my reasons, and that reason is 13-1 and one of the endings. Razz
Zeldaman2.0
Zeldaman2.0
Beta
Beta

Back to top Go down

Post  khfreak358 Fri Apr 04, 2014 7:13 pm

Clearly, Haar, you do not understand my love and appreciation for a well-made fighter. To be honest, none of the PS4 exclusives have really caught my interest, aside from maybe Octodad, and even then, that's also on PC. Whereas the XBox One has Killer Instinct, Crimson Dragoon, and Dead Rising 3, all of which have sparked my interest immensely. But, that's just me.
khfreak358
khfreak358
Siks the Umbra de Aurora
Siks the Umbra de Aurora

Back to top Go down

Post  Haar_Dragon Fri Apr 04, 2014 8:03 pm

We'll see. Maybe I just hate Microsoft gaming consoles, maybe I'm just holding the pre-release bullsh*t against them, but all I know is, every time I see someone buy an Xbox One, I can't help but laugh at them, while simultaneously dying inside.
Haar_Dragon
Haar_Dragon

Back to top Go down

Post  Zeldaman2.0 Fri Apr 04, 2014 8:58 pm

As a game designer, I can't really pledge one way or another. To be honest, while I'd love to work at Sony, they're making less exclusive titles than the XB1, purportedly, and in a job market I can't really go to them for a more secure job at the moment. I could go there, sure, but job pay and stability might be better at Microsoft. Then again, the dream is to work at Valve, which will forever be secure just because it's the company that made Half Life 2 and Source engine and just... All the good things. Also Steam. Bar that, Ubisoft or Capcom, maybe Atlus or Square.
Zeldaman2.0
Zeldaman2.0
Beta
Beta

Back to top Go down

Post  Haar_Dragon Fri Apr 04, 2014 9:04 pm

You...just listed almost every worthwhile company.
Haar_Dragon
Haar_Dragon

Back to top Go down

Post  Zeldaman2.0 Fri Apr 04, 2014 10:28 pm

Well, there's plenty more, and if I want more job stability, Treyarch, Infinity Ward, Bungie, etc. all hop on the list as well. And while all of you are probably going to mourn my loss as a "gamer", I can't deny the fact that they do sell games, they make a wanted, desired product, and that they're successful at what they do.
Zeldaman2.0
Zeldaman2.0
Beta
Beta

Back to top Go down

Post  Maverick Entity Sat Apr 05, 2014 4:05 am

I assume you meant exclusivity in some way other than what I view the term as, but as a game designer, would you not want to have your game across multiple platforms, so that you cover more than one source of potential income?  Wish I could recall the exact podcast I listened to recently that went far into detail about why developers should not get sucked into one particular orbit.

Sigh, if only I had the right knack for being a game writer.
Maverick Entity
Maverick Entity
Gunamnex, the Commemoratio de Fortuna

Back to top Go down

Post  Zeldaman2.0 Sat Apr 05, 2014 5:30 am

Exclusivity relative to working at a particular company. While I'd love to be exclusive to Square or Atlus, it just isn't happening. I can't afford to only want to work at those companies, and even when I get my degree it'll still take me some time and effort into getting a job at a big corporation like that. I'll have to start smaller or more indie at least if I want to get experience. That's just how it is. Sure, I can try and make my own game that's super totally cool, and I've bragged about, but where the hell does the budget, the composers, the artists, the legal support, and everyone and everything else come in? How will I sell it? Will it sell? These are things I have to consider, and why when I see someone say something like "oh Game X is so retarded, it's just cookie cutter". Maybe, but people worked damn hard on it, and they're probably worried if it'll sell. Games might be expression. Games might be art. But they are, first and foremost, a /product/.
Zeldaman2.0
Zeldaman2.0
Beta
Beta

Back to top Go down

Post  Haar_Dragon Sat Apr 05, 2014 1:58 pm

There's a lot of things I could say about that, but I'll try to keep it limited. Some games, yeah, people work hard on. But then you see a game simply titled "Shark." Do you really think anyone put any effort into that? If you can't even come up with a decent name, then you can't say you made an effort, and you can't expect positive results. And be honest. Do you think anybody put effort into Call of Duty? They have 90% of it finished because it's recycled from the last one.

Now, with that said, I'm not trying to shoot you down or disagree with you. Yes, games are a product. However, they're just like any other product in that some people try really hard to make good ones. Some of them fall short. Other people just copy and paste the formula for someone else's product, and some people just recycle the same thing they did before, add one or two things that don't really change anything, and call it a new product. And again, I'm not trying to discredit the people who work hard on their games. It's just that it's really hard to tell sometimes whether anyone will give a damn. And it's hard for consumers to give a damn if the effort isn't apparent, which is why we buy games like Persona 3/4, or Kingdom Hearts. It's why a lot of people are getting really sick of New Super Mario Bros.

Long story short, if the effort is apparent, a game will sell, and if the effort doesn't look like it's there, it won't. If you're worried whether it will sell, then maybe you need to put more time into it, because good games sell. That's really all there is to it, at least as far as I can tell.
Haar_Dragon
Haar_Dragon

Back to top Go down

Post  Cremator of the Sky Sat Apr 05, 2014 2:43 pm

khfreak358 wrote:Clearly, Haar, you do not understand my love and appreciation for a well-made fighter.

https://youtu.be/ztVMib1T4T4

You sure you're talking about KI?
Cremator of the Sky
Cremator of the Sky
Omicron
Omicron

Location : The Ancient World that I have cremated and seeded with Metal.

Back to top Go down

Post  Zeldaman2.0 Sat Apr 05, 2014 4:38 pm

Speaking of well-made fighters: Skullgirls. It's got a small roster, currently, yes, but it's also a very face-paced competitive fighter that plays very very well. It's also good at characterization, nuances, and for having a roster that, once the DLC roster is done, will only have two males. Despite this, the game has a very good plot going for it, and it's very worth the 15$ if you play multiplayer.
Zeldaman2.0
Zeldaman2.0
Beta
Beta

Back to top Go down

Post  Haar_Dragon Sat Apr 05, 2014 4:58 pm

??? I only know that one by name, and by the fact that I have a friend with a particularly low opinion of it. Granted I never asked him why, so I don't know, but it seems to have something to do with the fact that it is apparently (from my limited knowledge) targeted at weeaboos. Again, though, I don't know enough to have my own opinion.
Haar_Dragon
Haar_Dragon

Back to top Go down

Post  Zeldaman2.0 Sat Apr 05, 2014 5:35 pm

...??? Some of the references in the palettes are certainly for people who watch certain anime or play games (one of the characters actually has a slightly different outfit to go with her Etna skin, and yes, THAT Etna, in Disgaea), but it's not weeaboo by a long stretch. The game is actually very philosophical at times and while the story isn't exactly super strong (again, fighter) it still manages to be fairly good. The only instance of weeaboo I can think of is a nurse McNinja who is stated to be a weeaboo in her bio, though this never comes into play during the story and is pretty much just Author Appeal/Fetish Fuel for the fanart. And if your friend has a low opinion of it, that's fine, but at least be butthurt over the online gamers who will pull you into a single combo that will eventually kill you, not "targeting weeaboos". The f*ck kind of reason is that?
Zeldaman2.0
Zeldaman2.0
Beta
Beta

Back to top Go down

Post  Haar_Dragon Sat Apr 05, 2014 5:58 pm

He's weird. There are very few things he DOES like. It could also be the fanbase. I seem to remember he had something against the fanbase. But then again, the fanbase of almost everything is kinda terrible, since 90% of the internet can't take any sort of criticism and will insist that it's perfect.

Again, he's just weird, and I'm not sure he has the ability to dissociate a game from its fans.
Haar_Dragon
Haar_Dragon

Back to top Go down

Post  Zeldaman2.0 Sat Apr 05, 2014 11:19 pm

In any case, the endless beta is free if I recall correctly, and if you're still not satisfied with the combat, then you don't have to buy the main game.
Zeldaman2.0
Zeldaman2.0
Beta
Beta

Back to top Go down

Post  Cremator of the Sky Sun Apr 06, 2014 2:32 am

Zeldaman2.0 wrote:Speaking of well-made fighters: Skullgirls. It's got a small roster, currently, yes, but it's also a very face-paced competitive fighter that plays very very well. It's also good at characterization, nuances, and for having a roster that, once the DLC roster is done, will only have two males. Despite this, the game has a very good plot going for it, and it's very worth the 15$ if you play multiplayer.

So far SG is the only one worth talking about. And everyone should give Skullgirls a try. The game is very entertaining and while the roster is quite small (I don't care what anyone says, it's the seventh(when it first came out)/eighth console generation people, we shouldn't be having such small casts for a brand new fighter) it's slowly being expanded upon which just goes to show how much the devs care.
Cremator of the Sky
Cremator of the Sky
Omicron
Omicron

Location : The Ancient World that I have cremated and seeded with Metal.

Back to top Go down

Post  khfreak358 Sun Apr 06, 2014 4:49 pm

Just out of curiosity, Haar, is the same friend of yours who claimed he'd rather watch Uwe Boll's FarCry movie than play FarCry 3? Nothing to do with anything, just curious.

Also, I desperately need to play SkullGirls.

And, yes, Crem, I am talking about KI. I've heard nothing but fantastic things about it, and it looks exactly like a game I'd have a blast playing.
khfreak358
khfreak358
Siks the Umbra de Aurora
Siks the Umbra de Aurora

Back to top Go down

Post  Haar_Dragon Sun Apr 06, 2014 5:22 pm

Yes, same guy.
Haar_Dragon
Haar_Dragon

Back to top Go down

Post  Maverick Entity Sun Apr 06, 2014 7:01 pm

Apparently Advance Wars is on the WiiU, now if only they would make an actual new title for the series on said system.

Also, I want to get back into a harvest moon game after hearing about the latest one out in Japan, but I just cannot keep steady with them. There is just so much to do and I always feel like facepalming myself if I mess up.
Maverick Entity
Maverick Entity

Back to top Go down

Post  Zeldaman2.0 Sun Apr 06, 2014 9:03 pm

See Haar, that's when you stop listening to them.

And Maverick, if you can get your hands on one, I HIGHLY recommend the N64 one. It's simple, effective, and while it does have a lot of things to do, they're limited enough that in day-to-day affairs, you can easily figure out what you need to get done.
Zeldaman2.0
Zeldaman2.0
Beta
Beta

Back to top Go down

Post  Haar_Dragon Sun Apr 06, 2014 9:22 pm

But he showed me a lot of things I like. Such as Zero Escape. And Ghost Trick.
Haar_Dragon
Haar_Dragon

Back to top Go down

Post  NebulaGregarZX Tue Apr 08, 2014 2:16 am

Hmhmhmhmhm... HAAAAHahahahahahaaaa!

At last, I'm prepared for the final battle! I even made a backup save file in case anything could possibly go wrong! I'm coming for you... Mr. Final Boss! It may sound kinda dumb not saying his name, but it IS kind of an absurdly serious spoiler for Hour of Darkness.

I know I technically did all this last week, but I've been a little too busy lately to say anything about it. Now I'm just waiting for a good time to start it up. Sorry for interrupting the current conversation for a previous topic, but... I'm ecstatic.
NebulaGregarZX
NebulaGregarZX
Aleri, the Vindex de Crepusculum

Back to top Go down

Post  Zeldaman2.0 Tue Apr 08, 2014 2:34 am

Actually, I'm all for discussing Disgaea whenever. I haven't even begun to drool over it as a /designer/, and I'm still drooling over it as a player. Isn't the Final Boss
Spoiler:
Zeldaman2.0
Zeldaman2.0
Beta
Beta

Back to top Go down

Post  NebulaGregarZX Tue Apr 08, 2014 2:58 am

Spoiler:

And I have something else to say, but it would spoil the most kickass thing EVER in Disgaea 4, so I won't say it. Sorry, I'm not about to ruin this for anybody. ANYBODY.
NebulaGregarZX
NebulaGregarZX

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 36 of 40 Previous  1 ... 19 ... 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40  Next