TITAL: Together If They All Lived
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

General Discussion Mark II

+5
Atlantis_Rising
Admin (HalcyonWandering)
Cremator of the Sky
PsychoticDoctor
khfreak358
9 posters

Page 1 of 7 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Go down

General Discussion Mark II Empty General Discussion Mark II

Post  Haar_Dragon Thu Dec 04, 2014 10:10 pm

Omega Ruby hasn't been in my 3DS since Persona Q came out, so no luck on that front. Also, am I the only one who really doesn't like StreetPass? Just out of curiosity here.
Haar_Dragon
Haar_Dragon
Terra, the Vir who Convelli Telluris

Back to top Go down

General Discussion Mark II Empty Re: General Discussion Mark II

Post  NebulaGregarZX Thu Dec 04, 2014 10:20 pm

Streetpass makes things more convenient. I think the games you play using Streetpass are a little silly, but the function itself is useful.
NebulaGregarZX
NebulaGregarZX
Aleri, the Vindex de Crepusculum

Back to top Go down

Post  Haar_Dragon Thu Dec 04, 2014 11:06 pm

In that respect, I see what they were going for, and I understand it. But then I take into account the lifespan of a system. In a few years, anything involving StreetPass will pretty much die. Once people stop using 3DSes, then certain things aren't really doable, like for example, the StreetSmash mode in Smash 3DS. A few of the Challenges require certain StreetSmash-related things, like "Get 5 hits in StreetSmash," "Get 20 KOs by countering in StreetSmash," and a couple of others. Once people stop using this system, people won't be able to do those Challenges. And while I already have most of them, it bothers me than in, say, 10 years, some 10-year-old kid will find Smash Bros for the first time, and he'll play Smash Bros 3DS, and he won't be able to complete all the Challenges.

That's just the first example that came to mind. There are other examples, too, but that's the first I thought of. Event Pokemon bother me for a similar reason (does Nintendo really care enough to release another Victini event?), but it just strikes me as...not-good. Someone could pick up, let's say, New Super Mario Bros. Wii, and play all the levels and complete the game, 100%. Someone could pick up Kingdom Hearts I or Persona, and play through and beat the game 100%, and these are games that were released years ago. But they can still be completed to their fullest. For a better example (with portable systems and everything), someone could pick up Megaman Battle Network, or (insert your favorite GBA game here) and beat it completely.

What I'm getting at is basically that relying on StreetPass for 100% limits people who might play in the future in terms of what they can and can't do. Sure, it's convenient now, but maybe in 5 years I'll want to play one of these 3DS games from scratch, and I won't be able to do everything I might have been able to otherwise. Don't get me wrong, I like the idea as a concept, but when the life of the system is finite, it kinda bothers me, and things like this are the reason why. It might be more accurate to say I "Don't really like it" than that I "really don't like it."
Haar_Dragon
Haar_Dragon

Back to top Go down

Post  Zeldaman2.0 Fri Dec 05, 2014 3:51 am

What really bothers me is the fact that old functions that were integral to playing some games, like the GTS on Pokemon, are now completely shut down, and in games that had "pseudo-streetpass", or... well, was it always streetpass? Idk. Like TWEWY, if you left your game in Mingle Mode long enough, the game would be kind enough to say "hey, you ain't passing anybody... here's a consolation, and it's pretty damn good too!"

Hell, that's how I got super far in KH Re: Coded's dungeon delving mode. I forget what it's called. POINT IS, they had failsafes in case you were lonely or didn't have friends or anyone nearby with their own system. With modern games? Nope. Nothing.

So when Gen VII inevitably comes out, we won't have people passing around the Eon Ticket, unless you go to a Nintendo Zone (which I don't have a source on, but I did find a page yesterday in my paranoia of looking for how to get one, that said they'll distribute them using that sooner or later). And even then, that's a huge inconvenience. I know it's not possible for all games and all events, but come on. There has to be a better way that doesn't alienate us as gamers.

Fuck, if you keep the internet for these systems up, how about releasing DLC packs for games that you no longer support? For a small fee, when the game is at its peak or shortly thereafter, start releasing DLC. Pokemon could do one-time event Pokemon, and this is tracked and "hard-sealed" to your system like your Friend Code and most game data is, so it's hard/impossible to get dupes.

Smash could do this by releasing a DLC that offers Streetsmash as an offline mode, or some such, or hell, just a general, like... Streetpass generator, endorsed and licensed by Nintendo, for those who can afford to buy it, which like, say, up to 4 or 6 times a day sends StreetPass data do your system based on what game you're playing, and after so many "hits" you're guaranteed to get "rare" data (Like ultra-awesome Personas in Persona Q, or the Eon ticket, or... whatever it happens to be!).

Not the best solution, but it's there for people who don't have a choice.
Zeldaman2.0
Zeldaman2.0
Beta
Beta

Back to top Go down

Post  Haar_Dragon Fri Dec 05, 2014 4:17 am

Y'know what? I'd buy it. I would willingly pay money for various Event Pokemon (as an example.) Because really, does anyone in Nintendo's office really give two f*cks about Victini? How about Genesect? Hell, they only just released Diancie, so there's no way they're doing another event for that any time soon. And guess what? I missed all three of those, because I didn't even know they were going on. And as far as I know, they're in the Regional Dex. Not the National. I mean...the Coloseum Bonus Disc (the only reliable way to get Jirachi) runs for about $40.

I actually made a list once of Pokemon I can and can't get because of event limitations. I have since lost it because my computer broke and had to be replaced, but the point is, I came up with a bunch that can't be accessed main-series, and a few more that can't be accessed at all short of events.

Mew requires a separate game. Manaphy (and by extension, Phione) requires Pokemon Ranger (which sucked, by the way.), and Darkrai requires Shadows of Almia. Arceus hasn't had an event since 2012, Shaymin requires Guardian Signs, Keldeo is event-exclusive, Victini is event-only, as are Meloetta, Genesect, and now Diancie. And the same applies to Celebi, whose event also only ended at the beginning of this year. And Jirachi requires either events or a $40, hard-to-find GameCube disc.

And what confuses me most is that these events are free. There is literally nothing whatsoever preventing Nintendo from releasing at least one of them as DLC and making absolute boatloads of money, as compared to "Oh, hey, have a free Celebi for a couple months." Or "Y'know, you could really use a Meloetta. Have a Meloetta." I got Celebi from home and Meloetta and Jirachi from a nearby GameStop. None of them cost me anything, and Nintendo didn't get any money from me. It just really rubs me the wrong way that Nintendo is just watching people struggle for Dex completion as they point and laugh while debating whether the next event will be single- or double-digit years from now.
Haar_Dragon
Haar_Dragon

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin (HalcyonWandering) Sun Dec 07, 2014 11:34 pm

I'd like to point out that a Shiny Jirachi is a distribution coming up sometime this year.
Admin (HalcyonWandering)
Admin (HalcyonWandering)
Admin
Admin

https://tital.rpg-board.net

Back to top Go down

Post  Haar_Dragon Mon Dec 08, 2014 1:01 am

That's because Jirachi and Celebi are notorious for being a pain in the ass to come across. I really don't know why America seems to get all the Jirachis and Japan gets all the Celebis, but regardless.

I still think I'm going to hate Genesect, Keldeo, Victini, Darkrai, Shaymin and Arceus for quite some time. Also Diancie, and probably more so. And Manaphy. I'm REALLY gonna hate Manaphy. Stupid crappy original Pokemon Ranger...
Haar_Dragon
Haar_Dragon

Back to top Go down

Post  Haar_Dragon Mon Dec 15, 2014 4:25 am

So I've been playing KH2 Final Mix the last couple days...or since it came out two weeks ago...and over the course of getting back to The World That Never Was' final area, I've learned something very important...

I friggin' HATE Dancers. I swear the devs just had a conversation that consisted of:
"So how can we be awful people?"

"Well, we could make an enemy that has an attack that grabs you, then can juggle you and has a long ass animation, and is likely to eat up over half your health bar."

"More awful than that?"

"...Let's have them clump together and make the attack inescapable."

"Woo!"

It's to the point where I've adopted "F*ck Dancers" as a sort of mantra. These things have killed me more than any other boss in this runthrough...or the previous one. Or any non-bonus boss in the entirety of Kingdom Hearts 1. I hate these things.
Haar_Dragon
Haar_Dragon

Back to top Go down

Post  Zeldaman2.0 Mon Dec 15, 2014 4:41 am

Git gud and use Thunder?
Zeldaman2.0
Zeldaman2.0
Beta
Beta

Back to top Go down

Post  Haar_Dragon Mon Dec 15, 2014 7:11 pm

Well, that works up until a certain point. That point being the Transport to Remembrance. Once I get there, there's about four or five of those things, I'm out of magic, Donald is dead because he's a squishy idiot, and I need to heal but have no access to magic-based Forms. That leaves me with Valor and Limit Forms, which I'll use half of before needing to heal again if I'm lucky. Even with MP Haste, I repeatedly get my ass kicked by either Dancers, or whatever comes along with them after I've dealt with them.

And that actually brought my attention to something of a flaw in the game's design: Your allies absolutely piss away their items. I gave both Donald and Goofy all the healing items they could carry going into the final gauntlet in the aforementioned area. They were gone by the end of the second wave, before I was in even the remotest form of trouble. It wouldn't have bothered me so much if not for the fact that I never use items anyway, so when I need them, of course the allies waste them.

I don't mean to complain about it, I definitely think Final Mix fixed some of the button-mashiness of the original, and I'm grateful to have it. I just never realized what a pain in the ass Dancers are. To put it in perspective, I died against the Thresholder, the Dark Thorn, and Cerberus (all saved by Mickey). After that, the only things that brought me to the Game Over screen were Absent Silhouettes, Roxas, and Xigbar, once. I didn't have any trouble at all with any of the bosses that usually give me hell (Demyx, Xaldin, Luxord), but these enemies have killed me a half-dozen times. I'm confused and aggravated. That said, it is, Dancers aside, a tremendously fun game, it's just...f*ck Dancers.
Haar_Dragon
Haar_Dragon

Back to top Go down

Post  NebulaGregarZX Mon Dec 15, 2014 10:47 pm

Doesn't Reflega-spam work on Dancers? I would think it would be perfect to use on them.
NebulaGregarZX
NebulaGregarZX

Back to top Go down

Post  Haar_Dragon Mon Dec 15, 2014 11:36 pm

It would, were I not really bad at Reflega...I mean, I've beaten the game and maxed out Valor, Master and Final Forms (Wisdom and Limit are sitting at Level 6), so there's really only one more area where Dancers are a problem...and I've just Synthesized Ultima Weapon, Save the King and Save the Queen, so I'm hoping that'll give me enough extra push next time I try it. My idea was Magnega followed by Final Form asskickery. Because Final Form destroys everything. Honestly, I think my real problem is that Donald is the squishiest Party member I've ever had and doesn't stay alive long enough for me to use Wisdom/Master/Final.
Haar_Dragon
Haar_Dragon

Back to top Go down

Post  khfreak358 Fri Dec 19, 2014 4:49 am

As long as we're on the subject of the KH remakes, I might as well get this out there. I'm getting a PS3 for Christmas, and I'm pretty positive I'll be getting 1.5 as well. If not, I'll definitely pick it up with the inevitable shitload of money I'll be getting. And, um, is it weird that one of the things I'm really looking forward to is seeing what achievements they added to the game? Yeah, I know it sounds kind of dumb, but I can't help it. I've always liked achievements in games, and I'm curious to see what they thought up. I've already seen the Xemnas one, and I actually thought it was a cool title. I don't know, I'm weird about stuff like this, but a part of me is really giddy about this. Or it could just be the fact that I don't have my PS2 anymore, haven't been able to play KH1 or 2 since my freshman year of High School, and am just really excited to be able to come back to play through the main installment in my favorite game series of all time.
khfreak358
khfreak358
Siks the Umbra de Aurora
Siks the Umbra de Aurora

Back to top Go down

Post  NebulaGregarZX Fri Dec 19, 2014 11:10 pm

Achievements are kinda nice. Of course, they can be done poorly, too... look at FFVII on Steam. They basically made achievements for recruiting each character, and using each character's first Limit Break. That's all they did, lazy bastards. What about the optional bosses? What about STORYLINE bosses? Beating the game?

I mean, it's kinda cool to get an achievement for, say, getting the Airship, or beating a particular boss. But recruiting party members? That's... really lame. Maybe for Yuffie and Vincent, but... that's because they're optional. And Vincent's a b*tch to get, thanks to the timer on the safe. Yuffie's just a little bit annoying, since she shows up randomly, and you can screw it up.

So, yeah, I like achievements... when they're not horribly lazy and stupid. I'm sure Kingdom Hearts does a better job than FFVII on Steam.
NebulaGregarZX
NebulaGregarZX

Back to top Go down

Post  Haar_Dragon Sat Dec 20, 2014 1:31 am

Oh yeah. They're pretty decent ones, too, like things that are actually achievements and not just "Oh hey you did this required thing, have an achievement!" It's stuff like "Clear the game without dying," or "Seal all the Keyholes." Things that you have to work a little bit for.

I like achievements to a degree, when it's stuff like that, but when they're ridiculously easy or required for completion, it bugs me. I don't really consider it an "achievement" to, say, beat the last Darkside in the game. Darksides are easy and require less thought than getting a soda. But something like "Collect all Reports in the Journal" I'd be okay with, because some of them are pretty hard to get. Honestly, I was curious to see what they'd do about that kind of thing, too, and if they'd have those irritating ones like for clearing the prologue that has all of one required battle that can be curb-stomped at level 1.
Haar_Dragon
Haar_Dragon

Back to top Go down

Post  Zeldaman2.0 Sat Dec 20, 2014 1:50 am

@KH Naw man, it's definitely a thing to be hype about. If the achievements are actually worth getting worked up about, and not the bland Bronze-y kind like Gregar said, sure, they can be really interesting and can definitely chart out your mastery of the game.

@Haar: Well, then, here's some general tips against Dancers to help you out. If you see them glow, run. Use Quick Dash, Dodge Roll, Aerial Dodge, whatever fits your needs, but get outta there. Don't ever use Master Form, as Dancers can rip you out of some of its finishers and and are unaffected by its gravitational pull one. And, not sure if you know this or not, but you /can/ set the party members to use items sparingly, and whether or not they get more of that item after a battle.
Zeldaman2.0
Zeldaman2.0
Beta
Beta

Back to top Go down

Post  Haar_Dragon Sat Dec 20, 2014 4:14 am

Wait, I can? How's that? It doesn't seem to be in the Customize menu...anyway, I managed to get it using a combination of the Ultima Weapon on Final Form with the seventh Drive Bar (the one from the Absent Silhouette). I then proceeded to get the sh*t completely knocked out of me by Data Axel. Which means I'm not likely to get that final chest in the game, ever, seeing as some of the AS'es (read: Vexen and Lexaeus) gave me huge amounts of trouble. Still, I'm satisfied that I'll never have to fight another Dancer on Proud Mode again.

Out of curiosity...why on Earth would I ever use Master Form after getting Final? Other than grinding for Aerial Dodge, that is. Because Final is basically just "Have Master Form, only faster and stronger."
Haar_Dragon
Haar_Dragon

Back to top Go down

Post  khfreak358 Sat Dec 20, 2014 4:42 am

There's an achievement for beating the game without dying? Better question, are there multiple achievements for this, each pertaining to a different difficulty? Stupid question, is there an achievement for watching the Days cutscene compilation? Also, inb4"they'recalledtrophiesnotachievements".
khfreak358
khfreak358
Siks the Umbra de Aurora
Siks the Umbra de Aurora

Back to top Go down

Post  NebulaGregarZX Sat Dec 20, 2014 5:15 am

I know you unlock things in Re:CoM if you watch the movie. Like cards that shouldn't exist. Xion, for example. Dunno about an achievement, though, I wouldn't have checked that.

I'm actually going to get a PS3 myself, but I opted to get II.5. I, uh... figured that Final Mix+ and BBS were a bigger deal together than the first Final Mix and another version of CoM. But I do wish I had both... Ah, well! I'll get around to the first one eventually.

I wonder, is the Mirage Arena set up so you can play online in ReMIX? Because I actually think it would be kinda cool to play with you guys sometime.
NebulaGregarZX
NebulaGregarZX

Back to top Go down

Post  khfreak358 Sat Dec 20, 2014 5:39 am

I hadn't even thought of online for Mirage Arena. I hope they added it. And I'm actually planning on getting 2.5 after I finish 1.5. I kind of want to replay the games in order, though I will agree that 2.5 is the better collection, primarily because it has my two favorite games in the series.
khfreak358
khfreak358
Siks the Umbra de Aurora
Siks the Umbra de Aurora

Back to top Go down

Post  NebulaGregarZX Sat Dec 20, 2014 5:53 am

I thought the original PSP game had online Mirage Arena, but, well, it wouldn't be the first time I've made an assumption that's completely wrong without any way to test it. And it would be awesome.

It was a tough choice, and I was asked really on-the-spot. I didn't have much time to think, so I figured II.5 was the better collection, and I just beat KHI again last... year... that was, uh... a year ago. Hrm. I hadn't considered that. I remember celebrating I.5's release by beating the original again, but it's been a year... yeesh.
NebulaGregarZX
NebulaGregarZX

Back to top Go down

Post  khfreak358 Sat Dec 20, 2014 6:24 am

I believe the multiplayer was Ad-Hoc only for BbS.
khfreak358
khfreak358
Siks the Umbra de Aurora
Siks the Umbra de Aurora

Back to top Go down

Post  NebulaGregarZX Sat Dec 20, 2014 6:39 am

Well, then the only options they have for preserving the multiplayer are to make it possible to play online, or make it so you plug in more controllers and... I dunno, load up separate save files. Online seems like the most likely route.
NebulaGregarZX
NebulaGregarZX

Back to top Go down

Post  Haar_Dragon Sat Dec 20, 2014 6:27 pm

I was curious earlier, so I checked. Turns out, between scheduling and the movement of resources to KHIII, the mutliplayer in BBS was cut, but the Mirage Arena was retooled to be more single-player-oriented and a challenge system was introduced. If you complete the challenges (No healing, time trial, block a lot, etc) you get a 1.5x medal bonus.

Wait, the Days cutscenes unlock stuff? Huh.

And yeah, there are actually I think three achievements for watching the scenes for certain segments of the Days cutscenes. Kind of a waste, in my opinion, but whatever.

I'd go with II.5 personally, if I didn't already have both >_>. For pretty much the same reason. Since America already got Re:CoM, I.5 is basically just 1 Final Mix, and there wasn't a whole ton added. A couple of cutscenes involving Riku, plus the Sephiroth and Ice Titan fights give a Keyblade apiece, and the Bonus Boss. And I think that's it. Whereas II Final Mix gave us a good few bonus bosses, each with rewards, a new Keyblade and a new Form, as well as cutscenes that serve to develop members of Organization XIII who didn't get quite as much, like Luxord or Xaldin. And BBS Final Mix, which added a fair amount of stuff as well.
Haar_Dragon
Haar_Dragon

Back to top Go down

Post  Zeldaman2.0 Mon Dec 22, 2014 4:00 am

Okay so since past me is a fucking tool, my only save is /right/ before the Guard Armor in Traverse Town. So on vanilla KH 1, after some dicking around and not wanting to boss fight because atm I haven't played a KH game in like, a year at least, not since 2's Final Mix. You go into Customize, and you should have different settings for your Non-Sora party members. Each of these members has things like "Normal Attacks: Rarely, Sometimes, Often", if I remember right. One of these options that's universal should be HP items and MP items. Set these to "Emergency Only!" or whatever it is for MP and whatever the middle ground is for HP. KH 1 might not let you automatically refill them, but it's there in 2. In 2 you go to customize and in a similar fashion/menu you'll see their items with a blue arrow (probably). This arrow is set to blue (often) for /every/ item, by the by, so have fun with that. Using triangle, you can change this to rarely and whether or not it auto refills.

...Proud mode bro? Go for Critical one day, it's not as hard as it seems. In KH 2 they more than compensate for it by basically turning all fights into a damage race. You really should, it's a neato experience. The Data fights were fucking abysmal. Like absolutely garbage abysmal man. Luxord's a douche, Demyx I just couldn't even figure out, and everyone else is suped up so far I can't even touch them. Marluxia was the only one I could beat. And Terra was a nightmare, I would need to practice a lot to beat him.
Zeldaman2.0
Zeldaman2.0
Beta
Beta

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 7 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next