TITAL: Together If They All Lived
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Game Talk (I'm putting this extra little bit here because the original title was too short)

+12
Admin (HalcyonWandering)
Eques tenebrarum
lethalityComplex
XGeass
Maverick Entity
Zeldaman2.0
Aesoth
khfreak358
NebulaGregarZX
Haar_Dragon
Malakili007
AKeybladeYouSay
16 posters

Page 20 of 40 Previous  1 ... 11 ... 19, 20, 21 ... 30 ... 40  Next

Go down

Game Talk (I'm putting this extra little bit here because the original title was too short) - Page 20 Empty Re: Game Talk (I'm putting this extra little bit here because the original title was too short)

Post  khfreak358 Fri Aug 30, 2013 12:12 am

Mewthree is actually part of a new mechanic called "Mega Evolutions". Basically, if a Pokemon is holding a Mega Stone, there's a chance it might evolve into it's mega form, but only during battle. It also looks to be temporary.

On another note… *raises flame shield* I've never played a Mega Man game before.
khfreak358
khfreak358
Siks the Umbra de Aurora
Siks the Umbra de Aurora

Back to top Go down

Game Talk (I'm putting this extra little bit here because the original title was too short) - Page 20 Empty Re: Game Talk (I'm putting this extra little bit here because the original title was too short)

Post  Zeldaman2.0 Fri Aug 30, 2013 12:20 am

That's fine. I've never played Sonic the Hedgehog until recently, and I've never played Crash. Or Spyro. Or Jak and Daxter.
Zeldaman2.0
Zeldaman2.0
Beta
Beta

Back to top Go down

Post  NebulaGregarZX Fri Aug 30, 2013 1:02 am

KH, dude, it's fine. I've barely played any of the Legend of Zelda or Mario series, and just as little of Metroid.
NebulaGregarZX
NebulaGregarZX
Aleri, the Vindex de Crepusculum

Back to top Go down

Post  khfreak358 Fri Aug 30, 2013 1:12 am

Eh. I mainly hold up the shield because I seem to recall that when someone said that at one of The Runaway Guys' Thrown Controllers panels, the crowd responded with gasps. Also, NintendoCapriSun completely froze.
khfreak358
khfreak358
Siks the Umbra de Aurora
Siks the Umbra de Aurora

Back to top Go down

Post  Haar_Dragon Fri Aug 30, 2013 1:44 am

Because it's surprising, not because it's a crime or anything.

Anyway, the point I was making was this: I don't think Battle Network 4 was bad. But then again, I'm talking all the way through my Nostalgia-goggles. BN4 got me into the series, so even if the pacing was sh*t, even if the villain was something directly out of a cartoon, even if a lot of stuff introduced was incredibly stupid, I'm not going to say I didn't like it.

The goggles come off for 5, though. Previously, I'd played 3, but that was so long before I barely remembered it. I'd played 4 as well, and enjoyed it because I was young and didn't know what "flaws" were. With BN5, I just disliked the Liberation missions. Oh, yeah, and the area where you get Party Member Number 3. That was annoying. As was the Recruitment Battle with Member 3. I'm speaking of Protoman Version, just to be clear.

Anyway, I found that the Liberation missions were just...frustrating. The fact that I was limited in where I could go, and that if they're in a certain formation, I have no choice but to go into Difficulty Up mode. Plus the fact that I still was...and still am, bad at creating effective chip folders. It all bothered me to no end, and I got frustrated. Eventually I went back and beat it, and I'll admit that it is a better game than I gave it credit for. And the fact that I played Protoman and not Colonel probably didn't help (I've heard much better things about Colonel).

As for 3 vs 6, I go 6 all the way. The ending was a little bit cheesy, but I feel like the battles and story were smoother, plus even after revisiting 3 and making it to the final boss...but never winning, I still didn't remember that much about it. I remembered it, to be sure, but nothing special jumped out at me. And the fact that the final boss is a b*tch. Semi-final not so much, but Final, yes. The aesthetic of 6 also went over better with me, with Megaman not taking up as much of the screen and the areas actually being much more colorful so that I don't have to squint to see what's going on.

Just my take on the latter half the Battle Network series. I'll say this, though: my personal favorite Megaman game is Starforce 3.
Haar_Dragon
Haar_Dragon
Terra, the Vir who Convelli Telluris

Back to top Go down

Post  NebulaGregarZX Fri Aug 30, 2013 2:51 am

I see where you're coming from on the BN3 vs. BN6 thing. BN3 introduced the NaviCust and refined Style Changes, and did so much awesome stuff like ModCodes that didn't appear in other games, plus it brought up the stakes and the ending is a real tearjerker. However, BN6 was the most refined game in the series, using the Cross system, improved the NaviCust even further, and the ending resolves everything nicely, and outright states "BATTLE NETWORK SERIES: END". A lot of it also boils down to how much you like the tone of the last three games as opposed to the first three. BN4 coming right after BN3 caused a lot of uproar, and a decline in sales, so some people are probably slightly traumatized into not liking BN6 as much as BN3.

Also, for the nostalgia goggles effect, BN5 was MY first BN game, so I'm going to defend it. *Ahem* Chaos Unison. Enough said. And BN3 was my second. I think I hunted down BN2 next, then 4, then 6, then 1.

Now, the recap.

1 - 4 - Lacking in polish, heavily flawed, start of a trilogy.
2 - 5 - Refined and improved greatly from the previous, but introduced controversial elements.
3 - 6 - The climaxes of the stories, refined gameplay and great storytelling, contested favorites.

Anybody else seeing a strangely uniform trend here?

Starforce 3... I still think about whether it's better than 1 or not. I'mma go with yes, since they refined the battle system so much, and made a better story, but I definitely like the feel of the first game's story, and how it actually related to the theme of the series directly and much more closely than the other two. 3 was much better than 2, though.
NebulaGregarZX
NebulaGregarZX

Back to top Go down

Post  Haar_Dragon Fri Aug 30, 2013 3:12 am

Personally, I thought the Starforce series got progressively better, and the reason for that is actually mostly in the overworld, but other things as well, like the battles.

The original made it rather annoying to get around the EM road, and the Pegasus/Leo/Dragon transformations couldn't combine in more than two ways: Any of them individually, and all three of them.

I'll freely admit that Starforce 2 had a lot of silly things in it...like the way you get your power, but it greatly improved BrotherBands, and it has my favorite way of getting on the EM road: Just freaking walk onto it. I'll say the world travel was dumb too, but personally, I like dumb things in video games. Not stupid or contradictory, just a silly kind of dumb. It's just fun to laugh at.

Starforce 3 had a definite theme to it, which impressed me, plus I think Corvus is my favorite boss design in the series. The difficulty progression is nice, and the Noise system is just fun for me to play with, plus it has a good few emotional moments, though Acid was a rather flawed concept, now that I think of it. Still, though.

I can see where you'd like the original Starforce, but to me, it just feels rather unpolished, like it was trying to take a middle ground between Battle Network and a new thing, and the result was just a mish-mash of stuff, and Starforce 1 just ended up being the least interesting to me. Not that it didn't have good moments, it was just weakest in my eyes.
Haar_Dragon
Haar_Dragon

Back to top Go down

Post  NebulaGregarZX Fri Aug 30, 2013 3:31 am

2... had some real screw-ups. Tell me, Haar, did you take Solo seriously? Once you start to see how self-contradictory his words are, and how his motivations really don't make sense, it's hard to take him seriously again. And he says Geo rambles about friendship all the time? NO! He saves his friendship speeches for critical moments, and rarely mouths off about it to Solo, if EVER. That in particular just seems stupid to me. Maybe I just don't like it when people bring something up to spark an argument when the other person never said anything of the sort, but doesn't deny it...

Also! The section with Queen Ophiuca was pointless. It did ONE thing, from a GAMEPLAY standpoint, aside from shoehorning in an extra brief scenario and boss. You got access to your Tribe Form. And then, all the problems that were resolved? Ha! Nope. Next scenario, Geo STILL can't control the power he's gotten, even though the last scenario culminated in him taking control of it. All the problems in that scenario that were resolved? Self-contained.

The second game... before I started finding all the actual problems with it, I didn't have as much FUN playing it as the first game. I really liked the space theme they had going in the first game, though, which probably had a pretty big hand in it.

Ugh, I can't keep ranting about this right now, I have classes in the morning!
NebulaGregarZX
NebulaGregarZX

Back to top Go down

Post  Haar_Dragon Fri Aug 30, 2013 3:41 am

As I said, I admit Starforce 2 was flawed, but I preferred it because it felt more well-polished. And no, I didn't really take Solo seriously. Though I will say it's hard not to take Rogue seriously when he curbstomps you repeatedly. Even if Solo and Rogue are really generic names for those characters. And I will also say I did prefer the space theme over the ancient civilization theme, I just felt that Starforce 1 was...off, just a bit. It had a few nice touches, to be sure, like Omega-Xis following you around, but it also had things that bugged me, like "Why can't he become Megaman on the ground again? Why do waveholes toss him through space-time?" And the thing is...Peg, Leo, and Dragon felt more like plot devices than characters, the final Big Bad is defeated because he's suddenly forgiving despite his entire character up to that point being ruthless and paranoid, and the fact that it lacked almost any kind of ability system really, really bothered me.

I really liked it when it came out, don't get me wrong, but then, when the second and third came out, the original just isn't advanced enough to keep up in my opinion.
Haar_Dragon
Haar_Dragon

Back to top Go down

Post  NebulaGregarZX Fri Aug 30, 2013 3:34 pm

Hm, I think I feel the same way, just a little further down the spectrum. I may have a higher tolerance for outdated systems in this particular regard, but tend to have more capacity for disdain that isn't easily dissuaded by an increase in polish. Or maybe I don't know what I'm talking about anymore.

Also, the first two fights with Rogue are identical. He doesn't even upgrade his HP. He's easy to curbstomp if you use anything to break the game in half, like the Wave Command Cards... which can be found all over the internet. You can murder him good with Tribe King and a good 1000 extra HP from those codes. CAPCOM, why did you think that was a good idea...?
NebulaGregarZX
NebulaGregarZX

Back to top Go down

Post  Cremator of the Sky Fri Aug 30, 2013 9:27 pm

Hooray, people are talking about things I know about/have interest in.

I've only played the first two SF games myself. Never touched SF3 because 2 left such a bad taste in my mouth. In fact, SF itself left a bad taste in my mouth. What was set up to be the successor to easily (one of) the greatest series on the GBA missed the mark... in game play that is. Seriously, had SF just had the battle system of BN, it'd be the best thing ever if you ask me, but no its just some watered down version of it.

But whereas SF failed, to me, in the battle department, it made up for it in the story department. The first game is really well done if you ask me. The scenarios, the villains, the cast, everything. Then SF2 came and well... it just didn't feel like the same effort was being put into it. I never did finish SF2, just stopped because I lost interest.

But you know what I loved about SF1 and 2? The themes of the villains. While SF1 obviously was going to have an astrology theme for its villains, SF2 did something I really, really, really love. Cryptids. And it covered the three most popular ones, Yeti, Loch Ness Monster, and (my personal favorite) Thunderbird.

But what did SF3 do? Card themes. Really SF, REALLY? You went from something done to death to something no one does, to something so basic? I mean, I'd be up for a game where the villains were based off of criminals who were never caught and caused a great scale of fear like Jack the Ripper, the East Area Rapist, and the Mad Gasser of Mattoon. Granted, that'd be pretty dark for a Megaman game, but still.

I have heard that SF3 is the best of the games, might give it a shot one of these days... if I ever decide to finish SF2.
Cremator of the Sky
Cremator of the Sky
Omicron
Omicron

Location : The Ancient World that I have cremated and seeded with Metal.

Back to top Go down

Post  NebulaGregarZX Fri Aug 30, 2013 9:36 pm

Allow me to impart on you a secret: SF2 is almost inconsequential to the plot of the series as a whole. The only significant thing that carries over is Solo. Link Power is no longer such a big deal, even though it's present in the customization and Brotherbands, it's not mentioned in the plot. You can safely stop playing SF2 and start SF3 without consequence, provided you know who Solo is. On the other hand, I personally don't like leaving things unfinished, and I bet you're the same way. Just snap the difficulty of the game in half with the Wave Command codes so that the battles are reduced to nothing but a brief nuisance.

Then again, how far in are you?
NebulaGregarZX
NebulaGregarZX

Back to top Go down

Post  Haar_Dragon Fri Aug 30, 2013 10:33 pm

You must understand that when I say Rogue "curbstomps me repeatedly," I just mean the first battle. The second (the one in Whazzap if I'm not mistaken) is much easier on me. As far as the Tribe King goes, I don't know anyone IRL who knows a damn thing about Megaman, let alone would play it, so being that really weird guy who chose ZerkerXNinja over CoD, I had no access to Saurian form period, so...no Tribe King for me.

And the battle system was a letdown for me, too, but it wasn't anything so flawed that I couldn't play the game. I've never actually beaten SF2 either. Final area, yes, but win, no.

And as I said, Starforce 3 is my favorite. The card thing actually meant something new and unique for me, and the Noise system was fun to play with. Plus, it has a few good emotional moments in it, especially some of the final ones.

But yeah, I can sum each of them up in a few words:

SF1- Great story, flawed battle system, and a few good emotional moments.
SF2- Reminds me of the kind of Saturday morning cartoon I used to love.
SF3- Cool designs for new characters, more emotional than the first, and quite a bit to tinker with.
Haar_Dragon
Haar_Dragon

Back to top Go down

Post  Cremator of the Sky Sat Aug 31, 2013 4:52 am

Haar_Wyvern wrote: I don't know anyone IRL who knows a damn thing about Megaman, let alone would play it,
What... What kind of horrible place do you live in? No offense or anything... but damn.

NebulaGregarZx wrote:
Then again, how far in are you?
I distinctively remember beating the Stock Ness Monster of the game.
Cremator of the Sky
Cremator of the Sky
Omicron
Omicron

Back to top Go down

Post  Haar_Dragon Sat Aug 31, 2013 5:08 am

I'm exaggerating that a bit. The thing is, there's only two of them. One lives in Florida, and the other doesn't exactly carry Megaman games with him. In fact, I'd say he knows more about the series from reading than playing, at least with regards to Starforce. Which makes me sad, because I think Starforce's Megaman has the coolest design of the lot of them.
Haar_Dragon
Haar_Dragon

Back to top Go down

Post  Cremator of the Sky Sat Aug 31, 2013 4:25 pm

Still just damn man. These are truly dark times we live in.

Also, X has the best Megaman design in my eyes. SF Mega is kind of cool though.
Cremator of the Sky
Cremator of the Sky
Omicron
Omicron

Back to top Go down

Post  Haar_Dragon Sat Aug 31, 2013 7:23 pm

I'd put X at third, after SF and Model X from ZX.
Haar_Dragon
Haar_Dragon

Back to top Go down

Post  Cremator of the Sky Sun Sep 01, 2013 1:46 am

And in news no one's interested in, I've begun playing Fist of the North Star: Ken's Rage 2.

The story mode is something I'm loving for sure, as it covers the arcs that the first game ddin't (God's Land, Jackal, and Devil's Rebirth for starters). The Scroll System is going to take some getting used to, just for being so weird and because I LOVED the Meridian Chart in the first game (come on, KOEI, that was a GREAT system!). The combat however, is improved and more fluid than the first game's was, although it seems everyone's lost some moves both in terms of normals and specials.

I really do wish the game was dubbed though. The Voice Cast KOEI got for the first game was absolutely great. Granted I wanted Lex Lang as Kenshiro and Steve Blum as Shin, but oh well. Dave Wittenburg was amazing as Jagi, and everyone else involved were exceptional at their roles. And Mamiya is still wearing that horrid outfit from the first game... ugh...

But regardless, loving it.
Cremator of the Sky
Cremator of the Sky
Omicron
Omicron

Back to top Go down

Post  Maverick Entity Sun Sep 01, 2013 4:08 am

Sigh, why can't Crystal Chronicles get a proper game on the Wii U.  Heck, Advance Wars on the pad would be worthwhile.

So many of my favorites will never get new life into them.  So damn depressing when I think about it.
Maverick Entity
Maverick Entity
Gunamnex, the Commemoratio de Fortuna

Back to top Go down

Post  Maverick Entity Tue Sep 03, 2013 5:34 pm

Great, now I keep thinking about a Realm Reborn.  I know I can't play MMO's, I know it isn't worth the cost (especially on ps3), but I just want to run around with a bow and shoot adorable monsters!
Maverick Entity
Maverick Entity

Back to top Go down

Post  Zeldaman2.0 Wed Sep 04, 2013 12:32 am

...I wanna play Castle Crashers.
Zeldaman2.0
Zeldaman2.0
Beta
Beta

Back to top Go down

Post  Haar_Dragon Wed Sep 04, 2013 1:52 am

I'd offer to play alongside you, but...well, PS3 isn't exactly close to the wi-fi. The wi-fi is in the opposite corner. It couldn't be more in the corner, really. The room is structured like this:

___DDD____
|................|
|................|
|................|______
|.................CCWCC|
|.................C........|
|.................C........|
|_______________|

Not the most accurate portrayal, but you get the idea. D is door, C is cabinet, W is Wi-fi. Kinda in a crappy position. An on the other side of the cabinet is a couch. My room couldn't be farther away, either.
Haar_Dragon
Haar_Dragon

Back to top Go down

Post  Zeldaman2.0 Wed Sep 04, 2013 1:55 am

I don't have a PS3, and unless you can connect to Steam users...
Zeldaman2.0
Zeldaman2.0
Beta
Beta

Back to top Go down

Post  Haar_Dragon Wed Sep 04, 2013 1:57 am

...Technically, I could just buy the PC version and the problem would be gone, but meh. I actually think I know more people with the PC version.
Haar_Dragon
Haar_Dragon

Back to top Go down

Post  Zeldaman2.0 Wed Sep 04, 2013 2:10 am

Bleh. Oh well... maybe I could bring a friend over and host local?

...but all of my friends live so far away...
Zeldaman2.0
Zeldaman2.0
Beta
Beta

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 20 of 40 Previous  1 ... 11 ... 19, 20, 21 ... 30 ... 40  Next